July 19, 2012

What's the Buzz?

photo: Honeylove.org
So much has been written lately on the die-offs and collapse of honeybee colonies that grassroots organizations have sprung up in the Los Angeles county area touting and promoting the benefits of allowing colonies to thrive within the urban landscape.  The local geography and the abundance of plants that attract honeybees in Pasadena (especially the northern part including Altadena and Sierra Madre) make our region ripe for encouraging backyard beekeeping.  I checked Pasadena's ordinances regarding beekeeping, and sure enough there is a prohibition on maintaining hives unless you're a beekeeper registered with the county's agricultural commission AND if it's not prohibited under the city's zoning code.  I still have to check where in Pasadena this is allowed.  Regardless, I'm encouraged by LA Councilman Bill Rosendahl's efforts to change the rules and educate the public about the benefits of bees and why they're of such importance to our environment.  Time for Pasadenans to do the same.

6 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to find the zoning code for beekeeping too but I can't find it. Did you have any luck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am searching for zoning code for Pasadena and it led me to you. Did you have any luck about Pasadena zoning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did do a little research when I first wrote the article and did find something in the Pasadena ordinances (or was it the LA County codes?), but it was very archaic and seemed out of date. I wish I saved that page. I'll try to continue my research and post any new information. Thanks for your interest and please feel free to email me if you come up with info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beekeeping is the keeping of animals and falls under the Municipal Code, not the Zoning Code. yes, it's archaic - basically you need a beekeeping license under the County to keep bees in Pasadena.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ming:

    The prohibition is in Municipal Code Section 8.28.110. I am working (just started) on an amendment to allow beekeeping in Pasadena.

    Bo Thoreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bo! I'm hoping to catch up on all the recent beekeeping talk and political going-ons here in Pasadena and the county. Keep up the good work!

      Delete